I’ve been reading about the cronuts since last spring and, few days ago, I’ve just tried to prepare at home these strange combination of donuts and croissants with a very easy and simple recipe.
Well, it’s not something you want easily make or often make because the cronuts are, according to my taste, definitely too heavy: it’s something to try once, maybe twice.
A cronut is a puff pastry donut-shaped fried, glazed and filled with cream; if you follow the original recipe (sort of, since the creator Dominique Ansel , formed in Fauchon in Paris, has never released the recipe he uses to make his cronuts) you have to count at least 12 hours and a lot of work.
The business in the Dominique Ansel Bakery in Soho, New York, is so advanced that only 300 cronuts per day are prepared and a single customer can only have a maximum of two in the same order at the “small price” of $5 each.
In short, if you come up with curiosity I tried two recipes : the first is really easy and simple, the second one requires a lot of dedication and patience.
Cronuts – quick recipe
600 grams of pastry
Oil for frying
1. Take the pastry, roll it out, sprinkle with sugar and overlay it in different layers. Put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil and, in the meantime, pull out the dough, roll it high enough, obtain some donuts using a glass or a pastry rings. Fry the cronuts in oii then stuff them at your like.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cronuts – difficult recipe
200 ml of heated milk
1 tablespoon dry yeast
150 grams of sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
410 grams of flour
1 teaspoon salt
220 grams of butter at room temperature
Oil for frying
1. Beat the eggs with baking powder and then add the milk, sugar, vanilla , salt and half of the flour. Shape into a ball, knead with your hands and roll bending as if they were two sheets. Put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Beat the softened butter with the remaining flour and then, after 30 minutes, pull out the dough from the fridge, roll it out and spread the butter – flour mixture using a spoon so as to reach the entire surface. Close to 4 sheets to form folds and put in the fridge for another 40 minutes.
3. After the 40 minutes pull the dough out of the refrigerator and roll out with a rolling pin WITHOUT open it. Close on itself again as if it were a sheet, press on the surface and refrigerate for another 30 minutes. Repeat the same “exercise” two more times and then put in the fridge for a whole night .
4. The next morning, roll out the dough and create many donuts a you can then heat the vegetable oil and fry the cronuts until they are golden. Let them drain and refill or glaze to taste.
Preparation time: 12 hours
Is it worth trying? Let’s face it : it takes a lot of dedication and the result is truly unique with all this fried things that it can easily nauseate. I do not know, I’m not convinced… you?
(If you’re in Dublin, The Marker Hotel serves cronuts every morning.